Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fine lines..

Dreaded stretch marks...


The one thing I fear more than actually giving birth but alas I need to just grow a pair and simply think of stretch marks as my pregnancy service stripes. I sure am going to have earned them.


You see the thing is they say that between 75 and 90% of all pregnant women will develop stretch marks during pregnancy and I am telling you now I will be on top of that list of ladies waiting in line for hers. I am doomed!


Having a weight problem, or should I say a yo-yo weight problem through out my life I managed to obtain service stripes for being overweight and then thin and then overweight again. Although my current stretch marks aren't that visible unless you are up close, I am sure if I do not take the necessary precautions during my pregnancy I might be sporting some extra visible lines sooner rather than later.


Currently I haven't noticed any added stretch marks since being pregnant but from the minute I found out I was "having a baby" I started applying Bio-Oil in the evenings and Georen's Pregne Crème in the mornings as prevention is better than cure.


Ok, so you want to know what stretch marks are? Basically they are fine lines or in some cases not such fine lines on your body which can be reddish or even purple in colour when they first develop and then later on have no colour.


Why do we get these dreaded things called stretch marks? In life and in pregnancy women gain weight, some at a rapid rate and in pregnancy their stomach stretches rather largely to accommodate the growing baby and these changes cause our skin to stretch in excess. Some women have the luxury of having extremely elastic skin to accommodate for this stretching while others (me) don't. Overstretching weakens the skin and skin subjected to more stretching than it can handle will tear.


What could cause stretch marks?
  • Genetic Influence
  • Hormonal Changes
  • Excess weight gain
  • Nutrition - a decent diet, helps the elasticity of your skin
  • Skin condition - dryer skin is less elastic than oily skin and therefore more prone to stretch marks
So here are a few ways you could limit the appearance of stretch marks.
  • Eat a healthy balanced diet to keep weight gain to a minimum
  • Drink loads of water
  • Regular exercise
  • Apply Bio-Oil twice a day
Also, I guess you shouldn't stress so much. If you are one of those people with skin that may be prone to getting stretch marks...embrace it, after all hearing your babies heartbeat for the first time and feeling tiny little kicks ( when I eventually get to feel that) will make your stretch marks...all worth it.


Source of image