Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dieting during pregnancy

Some of you have probably been wondering when I would be writing a blog about this topic. Due to my nausea and food aversions, dieting or healthy eating as I would like to refer to it has not been something I have been able to stick to. Most of the foods I used to eat I all of a sudden have wanted to avoid like the plague.

Due to both of my parents now being Diabetic, I have been told I need to watch what I eat as there is a high chance I could become diabetic if I don't stick to healthy eating habits and keep my weight at a constant gain and not gain weight,lose weight and gain weight like I have done almost my entire life.

It is inevitable that you will gain some weight during your pregnancy, this is normal but healthy eating during your pregnancy is one sure way to prevent unnecessary weight gain which you will struggle to lose after baby has been born and it can also lower the risk of diabetes.YAY for me!

Some points to follow to ensure healthy weight gain during pregnancy:
  1. Eat a variety of foods, incorprate all the food groups into your "diet"
  2. I know how hard it can be when you having cravings, try healthier treat options - limit your intake of junk food.
  3. You are not eating for two.I repeat, you are not eating for two.Doctors agree that you should be eating about 300 more calories per day(so one extra meal) than you did before you became pregnant, that is all!
  4. Eat loads of calcium rich foods. Calcium is very important when it comes to proper development of your baby. Aim for 1,000mg of calcium a day.
  5. Your baby will take what they need from your body so it is important to supplement with the correct nutrients and vitamins during your pregnancy. This will keep you and the baby healthy.
  6. Don't be too hard on yourself and allow yourself to gain weight! Pregnant women should gain somewhere between 11-16kg while pregnant, unless of course you were overweight before becoming pregnant, like I had gained weight before finding out I was pregnant so I therefore should watch my weight gain.
Please note that I don't claim to be qualified in giving advice I am writing from what I am researching and the stuff I am learning from word of mouth.