Sunday, May 18, 2014

Project Nursery

This is a very exciting post for me to write. In the month of March we began to work on our Little Boy's room. I cannot wait to show you a few shots of our baby boy's finished nursery.{Coming soon}

Shortly after finding out we were expecting. I started searching on Pinterest (here) for nursery ideas. We settled on the colours white, grey and aqua with an Elephant theme. I was so flooded with ideas and I wanted to decorate the room with all of the things we love until he is old enough to decide and make the room into something he would like ( I hope he likes what we have chosen) to avoid total chaos with all my ideas, I made a mood board and we took it from there.

Pinterest Mood Board


We converted the old office in the house into the baby's nursery.We were so excited to transform it! We removed the built in desk and some of the furniture in the room. It already had laminated wooden flooring so basically we had to remove the curtain and curtain rail, close up all the holes and cracks in the walls and then paint the entire room white.


See my previous blog post on the first phase of the nursery (here)

I really wanted to  have a grey and white stripe feature wall in the nursery but the shops here just wanted to charge ridiculous prices for wall paper so my mom suggested that we try paint the grey stripes that I wanted and well it came out perfectly.



See my previous blog post on the second phase of the nursery (here)

At first when we decided on the Nursery theme we were not aware that we were having a baby boy and we didn't want to go with your conventional boy or girls nursery so we chose something neutral for now until he decides to pin up Superman posters and have Batman bedding (if he is anything like his daddy and that is ok) BUT for now mommy, daddy and granny were the interior designers so we just went with our hearts on this one.

I am not the best when it comes to Interior design. I always see ideas that I like, have the vision in my head of how I want something to look but being the Gemini that I am I can never quite stick to finishing the task that I start.

So I made a list of steps to follow and this sure helped me to stick the the plan.{ Maybe this will help you, maybe it won't}

  1. Find inspiration on Pinterest or other websites and base your idea around one feature or theme.
  2. Measure the space you have to work with.
  3. Create a digital mood board
  4. Decide on the colour scheme.
  5. Decide on your focal point and work around that ( In our case the Grey and White Stripe wall)
  6. Buy your key furniture for the nursery. (Cot, compactum,rocking chair,toy box,floating shelves,crib) See the blog post I wrote on some items we bought or received as gifts (here)
  7. Clear out the room, fill cracks, paint and let the room dry and air for a few days.
  8. Spring clean the room before you move key items of furniture into the room.
  9. Order the wooden blinds.
  10. Decide on what other accessories, bedding and furniture you need.
  11. Go search for those accessories on line, at shopping malls and even antique shops if needs be.
  12. Order accessories if you need to and make sure you leave enough time for manufacture and delivery so the items arrive on time.
  13. Think about whether you would like a rug in the room or not.
  14. Consider your storage options for clothing as well as toys.
  15. Once you are all shopped out then think DECORATE, so get to arranging and hanging etc. 

So other than a few custom made bits and pieces, this room is pretty much set. Wayne, my mom (and I) have worked hard and all had a part to play in the completion of this little guys room. We still need to get the items up on the walls, so as soon as they arrive we will do so and then take the pics to post them for you all to see.

All I have had in my mind the entire time is: "We need to get this nursery done before baby arrives" and I am SO glad we have managed to do that, now I can focus on packing hospital bags and awaiting the arrival of our little one. Even though he won't be sleeping in his own room for the first few months as he will be in our room in his Bassinet, I just have peace of mind knowing it is complete (well almost barring the few items we need to hang up which will not take long to do) and we won't have moments of chaos in the house just after he is born.

I really have so many people in my life to thank when it comes to this nursery. Firstly, the man in my life, Wayne - he has been really amazing helping out with the painting and styling of the nursery. He helped pick out a lot of the items and he was really hands on with the entire project. I am just so thankful that he wanted to be a part of it all - no bribing needed.

My mom for being our project manager and also my mom and gran for buying a lot of the baby nursery items that we needed - what would we have done without you?!

My dad for helping to put up the shelves and giving his five cents on our painting techniques (LOL)

My best friend for giving us the rocking chair and last but not least, Wayne's parents for buying us the baby monitor for our Little Boy's room!

I just feel so thankful that I can now go deliver this baby with a big smile on my face knowing that everything is done and in its place.



Mood board of actual items I bought for the Nursery

I am so happy with the outcome and now we sit and wait for the arrival of our baby boy.
We cannot wait to walk into the hospital as a COUPLE and walk out as a FAMILY. We are so blessed.

We cannot wait to meet our 'Lil Wayne'...