Saturday, July 30, 2016

Our journey through the Two Oceans Aquarium

This weekend we decided to immerse Camden in the wonders of the ocean by taking him to his very first visit to the Aquarium.


With it being winter and like I mentioned in my previous post it has become increasingly difficult to keep a busy toddler occupied over the weekends, so we have been finding things for us to do indoors so even if the weather isn't playing nice we still get to have fun!

It just so happened that we decided on the aquarium and low and behold as Murphy would have it the weather was showing off again in Cape Town, no rain just sunshine...but we stuck to our aquarium plans.




Camden is very loud and expressive, most things excite him and even though I had seen his reaction to small fish in a tank at the petshop I was still unsure as to how he would react while being at the aquarium.

We were immediately welcomed by these beautiful exhibits as we walked in and just as I should have expected, he was jumping up and down pointing out the fish to everyone standing around the tanks shouting "Fith fith fith". I so wish I had caught it all on video. Most people these days point, smile or even laugh at Camden's excitement when we are out, they think it is too cute.







After a few minutes at the first exhibits he was off running to the clownfish. He was so excited to crawl into the tank and join Nemo in his world but when he realised he was alone in there he started to cry.




When we got to the I&J Ocean Exhibit my attention was drawn to the sea turtle, there was something so majestic about this big guy. It is moments like these that I really wish I had a decent camera and photography skills.




There is something seriously so mesmirising and destressing about watching these creatures and judging by the fact that once Camden's excitement had died down somewhat he just stood and stared at the fish as we moved from one exhibit to the next,  he must have been feeling exactly what I was feeling....calm and at peace.



Camden enjoyed the interactive exhibits where he got to touch and feel kelp, anemones and starfish. He of course tried to pick the starfish up out of the water and cringed at the feel of the kelp LOL!






I thought he would enjoy the penguins but no such luck.



He wasn't really interested as he was distracted by the toddler play area and all he wanted to do was colour and play with the other children.



He enjoyed the aquarium for an entire hour and fifteen minutes then he had, had enough and it was time to go. I have noticed that Camden can only last roughly an hour (unless he is watching a movie), then he gets tired or bored and wants to leave. I guess that is ok, he has only just turned two and is an extremely active child so this should be commended.

All you need to know about planning your trip to the aquarium you can find right here.

I look forward to our next adventure with our little guy.