Tuesday, July 31, 2012

First Day of my personal 12 week challenge...eating the Paleo way

So yesterday I woke up and started my own personal 12 week challenge to lose 5% Body Fat minimum ( but I know I will not stop there so let's be realistic and say about 8-10% Body Fat)

I have decided to do a 30day Paleo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet eating Challenge with my mate Nic along side this 12 week challenge. I must say cutting out grains and dairy etc definitely left me feeling a bit weak at the end of the day and I wasn't able to lift half the weight I usually would but I know after a week of this basic "detox" I am going to feel refreshed and ALIVE...FULL of ENERGY so a few days of headaches, dizziness etc is well worth it!

I started my day off with a 45min cardio session - HIIT...sprints - well sort of LOL

I jogged for 10min, sprinted for 1min, walked for 3min and then sprinted for 1min again and this I repeated 3 times.

In the afternoon I hit the gym for my second gym session (yes I could do it all in one go at the gym but I have time on my hands so I split my work out up in two and training weights on an empty stomach for me is difficult as I then lack the energy needed to actually lift the weights I need to)

My second session for the day involved training Shoulders, this is definitely one of my favourite body parts to train! I am trying to build some muscle so my weight is heavy and my reps are lower than I would normally do when cutting.

Shoulders:

  • Shoulder Press 3 sets 10 reps per set
  • Dumbell reverse fly's 3 sets 10 reps per set
  • Military Press 4 sets 10 reps per set
  • Hammer Style Front Raises 2 sets 10 reps per set
  • Dumbell/ Cable Lateral Raises 2 sets 10 reps per set

Superset
  • Dumbell Shrugs 2 sets 10 reps per set
  • Upright rows 2 sets 10 reps per set
So that concluded day 1 of my training routine. Below I have put a sample of a "Paleo" style eating plan so you get the idea...basically if you can catch it and kill it, if it swims or you can pick it off a tree or out of the ground you can eat it...well that's how I think of it.

I am eating roughly 1600 calories a day, just a little FYI

Meal 1 (after morning cardio)
2 scoops of SN Explode whey Protein

Meal 2
2 Egg Whites
2 Whole Eggs
1 Cup of Mushrooms

Meal 3
1 Apple
30g Almonds

Meal 4
120g Protein (Fish, Chicken, Beef etc etc)
Salad or 200g Mixed Veg

Meal 5
50g Beef Biltong
1/2 a Avocado

Meal 6
120g Chicken Fillet
Salad or Brocolli or Green Beans or Mixed Veg

Meal 7
2 scoops of SN Explode whey Protein

Hope this helps a little with understanding more or less what can and cannot be eaten on a Paleo style eating plan.

Have a great day fitness junkies! I will be back with Day 2 training schedule soon :)

Bye for now....